Thursday, January 04, 2007

Workin' For "The Man"

First off.... I'm sorry if this post disappoints you.

The truth is that after my Christmas vacation, I've started working for..Starbucks. Yeah I know, it's not good.

I had this dillema, Wanda and I had been downtown Van for 2+ years and still felt like we needed to broaden our place of influence. I went to Starbucks one day around Christmas to pick up some donated coffee for a strata function and struck up a conversation with the manager. He mentioned how they were needing help in the new year after all the college crowd went back to school. I knew it was time to leave the Well (just knew it was time, nothing bad).

So I had a decision to make:

My "COFFEE CONSCIENCE" vs. "THE MISSION"

So the mission won. There was no other shop to get a job at and this Starbucks is so close to my place that I could throw a rock through the window from my couch.

If you're disappointed in me I understand. But we want to be in the center of our neighborhood and this is as close as I could get.

Here's the crazy thing, I've been there 2 shifts, and I learning LOTS about coffee. I'm really enjoying the learning component so far. I even made my first drink for a customer today.

Go ahead and pummle (pummel? - sp) me with negative comments I'm ready for it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Coffee Conscience in you is weak my young patewan (Star Wars term not sure the spelling).

But mission will win every time.

Congrats on the new job!!!

Ps: Don't let anyone tell you that you sold out. You did it for the Kingdom. You did, right?

Anonymous said...

I'm not disappointed in you, as long as you tell me that you aren't opting for the peppermint tea in place of the caffeinated wonder juice. Ahh.. coffee. It is lovely.

Anonymous said...

I'm ok if you're ok!!! IF you share coffee secrets.

D said...

I've heard that Starbucks is actually a really nice place to work.

Katie@The Mommy Miles said...

I think it is great Paul. I have heard great things about working "for the man" and I think it will be great to work in your community. I am happy for you.

Siggy Islander said...

Hey Paul - I think it's great. You're working for "THE Man"; you just get a cheque from Starbucks. Just think of all the time you'll save on the commute! And great opportunity to connect with people. Sometimes I really miss the neighborhood...and you guys!

The Chad said...

Hagh-hagh. (Insert punk kid from Simpson's tone here.)

"Oh God, I will serve you forever, just don't send me to Africa with snakes and spiders."

-The Chad

Jeffrey said...

I"M LOVING THE CINNIMIN DOLCE.
so hense.. i love your job.