Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Everything You've Ever Needed To Know About Blogs

Here I'm going to attempt to shamelessly pigeon hole every blog in the world:

Mommy Blogs
These are big. They generally are run by (you guessed it) moms and consist of tales from the playground or the last family outing. A good example of a mommy blog is here or here.

Mommy Blogs Plus
Similar to the mommy blog but usually run by a mom who should have been a standup comedian or Jim Carey impersonator. Personality reigns supreme in these blogs. Here is a good example of Mommy Blog Plus.

Musings On Life
These are people who are just giving their opinion on life or telling a story of something challenging or interesting in their day. They don't make any major claims on life but you feel like you're seeing into their life in their blog. This blog and this one are good examples of this.

Chick Blog
This is nasty territory. It's like Beaches, a box of Kleenex, an episode of Dr. Phil and Oprah plus a day at the mall all rolled into one. These are blogs that have the sole purpose of making people cry. I know some blogs that venture into the chick blog realm but have only ever truely been to one chick blog and here it is.

Family Blogs
These are blogs that start out as family websites (usually run by the guy) and quickly degenrate into Mommy or Chick Blogs because the guy doesn't follow through on keeping up with the blog. Here is are a couple of classic family blogs.

The Theology Blog
This is usually an "inside joke" type of blog in that it's a closed group of people that comment. Sometimes these blogs receive no comments at all. Which is generally OK because theologians usually don't like to be disagreed with. I won't list a link to a Theology Blog in fear that I might tick that theologian off.

Honest Dialogue Blog
Or the "HDB" for short. These are usually blogs that bring up good questions and let people "have at 'er". The joy is not in the answer in these blogs but rather, "What's the next question we should be asking?" This blog attempts to be an HDB from time to time but the best one I visit is this one.

Special Interest Blogs
These are blogs devoted to small niche topics like sports or cafe reviews or restaurant reviews or faith and politics.

This really should be a Wikipedia article or a Webster's definition because it's so exhaustive.
Anyway, if I've incorrectly labeled any of you, or if you know of some blogs that fit into any of these categories, I'd love to know.

Did I set a record for the most hyperlinks in a post?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I write one entry about my sisters that makes one or two people (mostly family) cry and all of a sudden I'm Beaches, Oprah, Dr. Phil, and a day at the mall all rolled into one?

It's a cruel, cruel world out there...

Anonymous said...

So what would you stereotype your blog Paul? ;)

Katie@The Mommy Miles said...

I feel so well informed.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sonya. I'll take it as a compliment-for now.

Paul & Wanda Moores said...

My blog is the "Box of Chocolates" Blog because you never know what you're gonna get.

I like chocolates...... mmmm chocolates.

Gotta go.

jeremy postal said...

At least there is chocolate involved!

Lucas said...

my blog is...infrequent?

Anonymous said...

my blog doesn't fall into any of these catagories LOL!
so i add this:
The Random Rambler Ranter Blog
as another possible selection...
Samantha

white girl said...

Awww.. Paul! You speak to my heart. You know I'm Jim Carrey with hair! Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh

D said...

Hi Paul and Wanda,
I read frequently but don't comment because I don't know you. So, hi!
I clicked on comments because I just had to see how Sonya would react to being categorized as having a mommy blog. I kind of expected something a little more dramatic.

Anonymous said...

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Paul says that he has lost his taste for coffee and has turned LOCO for TEA!!!!

Can you believe it?

Anonymous said...

a tea drinker now? it's like a whole new world of possiblities.
i've been steering away from coffee at work (starbucks), due in part i'm sure to the fact that i'm surrounded by it and reek of it when my shift is over. it's fun to try the different teas. i'm hooked on "refresh" and "african red bush tea". green ginger is nice as well. i also find that too much caffeine just makes everything feel more chaotic when we (always) are busy.

my standard tea faves in general: japanese green tea (loose leaf, direct from the land o' the risin' sun), yerba maté (preferably organic), and roobios (hooray again for organic!). and matcha rocks my socks off!

sorry...i really like tea.

Caroline said...

and of course, I didn't read all the definitions, just clicked on each link to see if our blog was there...

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul and Wanda,

I like the idea of your blog being a Box of Chocolates, it does fit. You did a great job of putting in all those links! I am looking forward to this blog turning into a Daddy blog.