Monday, June 18, 2007

Reflections On My First Father's Day

Well it was what it was, a day that's now mine to celebrate every year but the first one was sure weird. Even today at work everyone was wishing me a "Belated Happy Father's Day". At church yesterday everyone was wishing me a Happy Father's Day.

It's kind of like the first time I went to sleep in the same bed as my wife (May 4th, 1996. I'll have you know). You've wanted this for so long but it's here and it's kinda weird.

I: think "Non-Fatherhood" was my last connection to believing I was actually young. I'm not young anymore. Nope. Not me. O L D!! I better start acting like it.

I'm responsible for others now. It's really FREAKY.

I'm not making much sense but all I can say is that when all these people were wishing me a Happy Father's Day, I really didn't FEEL like it was me they were referring to. I guess I'm feeling comfortable DOING Dad things but actually BEING a dad... as in, it's part of my identity, not there yet.

So anyway, since I think most of the traffic on my blog is moms, ask your hubby for some advice. I'm all ears!!

4 comments:

Janice said...

I had the same experience when I first became a mother. Everything was moving along nicely, happy baby, happy mommy and daddy and then we had our first all night crying session. In the middle of the night it was just me and baby. His wellbeing was my responsibility and I suddenly felt the burden, as well as the joy of motherhood. I knew I would do anything it took to make his life worth living. You grow into the job Paul. One day when your daughter will only settle down in your arms you will know that you are her daddy and father hood will be intensely real. It is an overwhelming and rewarding experience.

Oh, and Happy Father's Day!

Anonymous said...

Hey can we sit on the bench by star bucks in Tinsel Town and talk about whatever like two old men?? I'm old too email me now if I could remember my name hmmmmm

Be Blessed Paul

Anonymous said...

You're not old, Paul. You just feel old. There's a difference. ;)

I'd ask Gary to send some advice your way, but I don't think you necessarily want advice from a man who came home from work this morning, looked into the pleading eyes of a 12-year old and promptly told her that she could stay home from school today because everyone knows you don't do anything in the last week and a half of school.

jeremy postal said...

You know Paul - this post doesn't inspire much confidence in any of us who don't have kids.