Tuesday, October 18, 2005

FAQ #4 - Obstacles

4. WHAT ARE THE OBSTACLES TO MINISTRY IN DOWNTOWN?

SPACE!!! Space is at a premium in this area. Real estate sells for around $400/sq ft. Retail is about $30/sq ft per year to lease. Although this may be an obstacle, we have chosen to see it as a challenge to be overcome. It has helped us embrace the home church model. This model will eliminate the space challenge because if you get too big for a living room, you start another home church. Inherent in this are some definite "must haves": leadership training and keeping church about the important things. The minute you start thinking in terms of programs for your church, then you need space.

LANGUAGE!!! The people of downtown Vancouver speak a different language, the two main languages being Manderin and Tolerance. Some speak both. By tolerance I mean the prevailing attitude of the day that "if it's right for you then it must be OK". The people that I've met downtown believe in absolutes but don't believe that I can tell THEM what absolutes are. There are things they believe in (look at the charities they support or the volunteer work they do) but there is no sense of "corporate absolutes". The challenge of ministering to Asians is something that is only hitting me recently. Obviously, we live so close to Chinatown that it must be taken into consideration. I have had the privilege of working at Delta Church and in doing so have been able to learn and understand a little bit about the Sikh culture, I am desiring to do the same about the Asian cultures in downtown.

Well, this ends my FAQ series of posts. If you have any other questions, drop me a line and I'll try to answer them.

2 comments:

Siggy Islander said...

Paul, you used the term "leadership training", and I have to admit it kind of stuck in my throat. After pondering my reaction for a few days I think I may understand why that term grates on me. While I think do understand what you're saying, the term "leadership training" just has a personally negative connotation. I don't want us to get into some kind of goofy political correctness, but is there a better way to describe the process of preparing people for leadership?

Anonymous said...

Well You and Wanda Are Special People and have Blessed Many who they have
met in their travels. They have relatives alll over Canada and travel
alot to meet old and new friends.

Truely We Are Best To have them
Crosss our Paths.
U2 ROCKS I HAVE HEARD THEY ENJOY
U2 AS MUCH AS I DO